An Augustinian Priory founded in 1193. It is situated alongside King's River beside the village of Kells, about 15km south of the medieval city of Kilkenny. The priory is a National Monument and is in the guardianship of the Office of Public Works. One of its most striking features is a collection of medieval tower houses spaced at intervals along and within walls which enclose a site of just over 3 acres. These give the priory the appearance more of a fortress than of a place of worship and from them comes its local name of 'Seven Castles'.
The Celtic cross dates from the 9th century and stands over the burial site of Niall Caille, High King of Ireland.