The first written account of distilling in Ireland comes from Kilkenny in the 14th century with the Red Book of Ossory and the Kilkenny Whiskey Guild are celebrating and highlighting this history.
The Kilkenny Whiskey Guild is a collection of 10 establishments throughout Ireland's Medieval capital. Each premises will stock a minimum of 60 Irish Whiskeys and will assist in the customers experience through knowledgeable staff, tasting flights, food pairings and mixology.
Regular whiskey events will be held in each of the Guild Houses designed to heighten the public’s knowledge of Irish Whiskey history production and various styles. The guild aims to make Kilkenny the leading Whiskey tourism destination in Ireland.
Visitors can make the most of the experience by picking up a Kilkenny Whiskey Guild (KWG) brochure with a map to guide them to participating venues. The brochure will also feature local points of interest on Kilkenny's Medieval Mile, as well as information on other key Irish Whiskey destinations nationwide.
Pubs currently featured on the trail are:
- Billy Byrne's, John Street
- Dylan Whiskey Bar, John Street
- Langton's, John Street
- Matt the Miller's, John Street
- The Wine Centre, John Street
- Left Bank, Patrick Street
- Hibernian Bar, Ormonde Street
- Lanigans's Rose Inn Street
- Paris Texas, High Street
- Brewery Corner, Parliment Street
Whiskey Guild Events in 2017
- Thursday 9th March - Left Bank
- Thursday 13th April - Dylan Whiskey Bar
- Thursday 11th May - Langton's
- Thursday 8th June - Billy Byrne's
- Thursday 13th July - Lanigan's
- Thursday 10th August - The Wine Centre
- Thursday 14th September - Paris Texas
- Thursday 12th October - Matt the Miller's
- Thursday 9th Noember - Hibernian Bar
- Thursday 14th December - Brewery Corner