Trail Kilkenny was formed in 2007 with the following mission statement:
“Trail Kilkenny Ltd will lead and facilitate the development, management and promotion of a range of high quality walking, cycling and other leisure trails for the benefit of visitors and residents of County Kilkenny”
Trail Kilkenny is made up of representatives from County Kilkenny LEADER Partnership, Kilkenny County Council, Kilkenny Sports Partnership, local councilers and land owners. The strategic direction of Trail Kilkenny is planned at regular board meetings.
Trail Kilkenny QR Code for smartphones
Below is a list of walks - click on name for more information and maps.
This loop walk starts and finishes at the car park at the Watering Place – wildlife lakes fed by fresh water springs 1km from the village of Tullahought on the Kilkenny /Tipperary border.
- Trail length: 6km
- Duration: 1.5 Hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Terrain: Minor roads, old roadways and laneways, fields and woodland trails.
A short walk through the hinterland of Urlingford. Park opposite the library/courthouse on the Dublin side of town.
- Trail length: 6.5 km
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Terrain: The route follows roads, laneways and forest tracks
This trail is the first in a series of wheelchair accessible walkways that link architectural, archaeological and cultural sites in and around the town of Callan.
- Trail length: Less than 1km
- Duration: Twelve to fifteen minutes
- Difficulty: Relatively easy and relaxing
- Terrain: Relatively flat with gentle slopes. The pathway consists of compacted limestone chipping & grit
Two looped walks that start and finish at the Grand Gates which lies west of the villages of Newmarket and Hugginstown and east of the village of Kilmaganny in south Kilkenny.
Features 3 loops:
- Holly Loop - 6km - 1.5 hours - Forest track, Grasslands Forest track,
- Fern Loop - 3km - 1 hour - Some wet ground, Minor Roads 1.3Km Grasslands
- Pheasant Loop - 7km - 2 hours 30 min - Forest road, grasslands,
- Distance : 11km
- Estimated Time : 2 hours
- Difficulty : Moderate
- Terrain : Grasslands, roadways, river banks
The picturesque village of Piltown is situated between the undulating hills and forests of South Kilkenny and the foothills of the Comeraghs in Waterford. The ares has many tourist attractions including the High Crosses of Ahenny and Kilkieran, portal tombs, Leac an Scail, Ormonde House and Kilkenny castle. This looped walk explores the beautiful mixed woodlands at Mountain Grove.
- Distance: 4km
- Estimated Time: 1hrs 30mins
- Difficulty: Easy suits all levels of fitness.
- Terrain: Forestry tracks and woodland trails