Whether you are a professional or amateur photographer, or just someone who enjoys it as a hobby we want your entries
Discover the beauty of our County through photos!! Visit Kilkenny has launched an exciting new photography competition. We are asking people to send in a photo that may capture their best holiday memories of Kilkenny, or simply a photo that evokes the essence of what the county means to you! Remember, if you plan to get out and about and get some new shots, remember to social distance and adhere to HSE Guidelines at all times.
We are looking for lifestyle, landscape, nature, medieval and adventure photos and it doesn’t matter if you’re a budding photographer or just like to get snap happy with your phone – you can enter our photo competition. To enter simply upload your photos below.
The competition will run until December 31st. We will be choosing 5 finalists from each of the 6 categories and one winner from each category who will be picked by our panel of judges and the overall winner announced!
Categories: Medieval Kilkenny, Landscapes, Off The Grid, Natural World, Streetscapes and Faces of Kilkenny
We have some amazing prizes from the fantastic hotels we have in Kilkenny. Our top prize is a two night luxurious stay in the 5 star Lyrath Estate and we have also five one night hotel breaks with dinner to be won which can be redeemed in Winter/Spring 2021 subject to terms and conditions.
Top Prize: Two Nights for two adults in the luxurious five star Lyrath Estate Kilkenny
The luxury, sophistication and style of Lyrath Estate are unsurpassed among Kilkenny hotels. Lyrath Estate is a multi-award winning hotel, spa and luxury wedding venue offering some of the finest accommodation, dining, and conference facilities in Ireland. Escape and unwind with romantic breaks at Lyrath Estate – enjoy fine dining at the Two AA Rosette winning Yew Restaurant, rejuvenate with an Oasis Spa signature treatment, such as the award-winning Neroli Blossom Ritual, enjoy afternoon tea in The Atrium and catch up over cocktails in Tupper’s Bar! Try a tomahawk steak or lobster in the casual chic Grill & Bar. The onsite family facilities include a playground, BBQ area, falconry*, and archery*, along with Reilly’s Fun Club. *Additional costs may incur. Visit: www.lyrath.com
One Night in the 4* Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel with dinner for two in Harpers Restaurant
Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel offers guests a winning combination of comfort, location, value & style. This 4*Kilkenny hotel is a one off, a wonderful building where guests can feel relaxed and welcome. Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel has earned the reputation of offering a uniquely designed property with the perfect blend of contemporary and traditional. From the strikingly historical exterior to the warm Irish welcome waiting inside, the emphasis throughout is on comfort, style & great service. All 47 guest bedrooms have had a complete makeover providing luxurious, chic Kilkenny accommodation for all visiting. In addition, Harper’s restaurant & cocktail bar serves contemporary food in a chic and urban setting. The beautifully designed rooms, superb location and mouth watering food make us one of the best Kilkenny hotels in Kilkenny City. Visit: kilkennyhibernianhotel.com
One Night in the 4* Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel with dinner for two in Savour Restaurant
The four star Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel is certainly a dazzling jewel in this remarkable medieval city and boasts one of the only Kilkenny city centre hotels with full leisure centre facilities including a 21 metre pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. Discover the city’s finest restaurants, cafes, theatres, shops and boutiques just on the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel’s doorstep. Experience a hotel stay to remember with facilities to suit everyone from romantic spa weekends enjoying luxury treatments in the KOSpa to family breaks with the hotel’s kid club during school holidays. This 4 star Kilkenny Hotel is also the perfect choice for your celebration or corporate event with its tailored banqueting and conference facilities or simply as a hub to explore this fantastic city and its environs. Visit: www.kilkennyormonde.com
One Night in the 4* Kilkenny River Court Hotel with dinner for two in the Riverview Bar & Terrace
The Kilkenny River Court Hotel is a stylish 4 star Kilkenny hotel located right in the heart of this beautiful medieval city. Each of the 102 guest rooms are stylishly decorated with splendid fine furnishings, crisp white linens and soft neutral tones, ensuring a restful night’s sleep every night. Most guest rooms overlook the River Nore with sensational views of Kilkenny Castle. Free Wi-Fi and complimentary car parking is available. Guests can dine at the award winning Riverside Restaurant or Terrace Kitchen both offering stunning views of Kilkenny Castle, exceptional service and delicious food. The Riverview Bar is comfortable and friendly with an extensive food menu that is served all day, every day! Guests also have the option of dining outdoors in the summer. Visit: rivercourthotel.com
One Night in the 4* Newpark Hotel Kilkenny and dinner for two in Scotts Bar & Brasserie
The luxurious 4 star Newpark Hotel has centuries of heritage steeped in its walls and is located at the edge of medieval Kilkenny City. It is situated on over 40 acres of parkland and offers luxuriously appointed guest rooms. Also on offer are mouth-watering dining options, a fully equipped Health Club & luxurious Spa and magnificent gardens. A go karting track, animal petting farm, playground and more importantly a fairy trail are provided to make that family trip extra special. A relaxed atmosphere has been created and an outstanding experience for all guests. The stylish guest rooms offer unparalleled luxury not to mention astounding views over the luscious, green gardens. Visit: www.newparkhotelkilkenny.com
One Night in the 4* Hoban Hotel Kilkenny and dinner for two at the 1801 Restaurant and Bar
The Hoban Hotel in Kilkenny is a vibrant place to stay, meet and socialise. Located within Kilkenny Retail Park, the hotel is just 15 minutes’ walk from the famous marble city. The hotel is named for James Hoban (1755-1831), a pioneering Kilkenny-born architect who designed and built America’s White House. At The Hoban Hotel – Following a 1 million euro renovation programme, the lobby, 1801 Restaurant and Bar have been completely transformed and they have introduced brand new menus with a choice of delicious food and drinks. They have also refurbished four conference rooms making them the ideal spot for training, interviews and meetings. Car parking and Wi-Fi are both complimentary. Visit: www.hobanhotelkilkenny.com
*Prizes are for two people and are subject to availability and change.
All photos will feature on Visit Kilkenny social media platforms and visitkilkenny.ie.
So get snapping!!
Submit Your Photo Here
Competition Rules ("Rules")
Visit Kilkenny Photographer of the Year is a photographic competition (“Competition”) open to everyone except employees of Visit Kilkenny and anyone else involved with the organisation of the Competition.
It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that they have read and abided by the Rules and the submission guidelines found below.
1. Images must be of locations within Co. Kilkenny from the six categories listed below.
2. Once entered into the Competition, identical images must not be entered into any major competition whose results are announced prior to 31st December 2020.
3. All entries must be submitted digitally (scans from film are acceptable) and must be uploaded via www.visitkilkenny.ie. No entries will be accepted by mail. No digital files will be returned.
4. The Competition opens on 11th June 2020 and closes at midnight on the 31st December 2020. No image uploads can be accepted after this time. Please make sure that you allow enough time to complete your entry.
5. There are six categories:
a) Medieval Kilkenny
c) Off the Grid
d) Natural World
f) Faces of Kilkenny
6. The overall winner of the Visit Kilkenny Photographer of the Year 2020, will be the person whose image is selected as the best by the judging panel from the six main categories.
7. Initial entry
Image files should be uploaded to the site as jpegs (72ppi min, 300ppi max). Please do not include watermarks, borders or signatures on your entry. When resizing your pictures, please make sure that you do not overwrite your original file. You must ensure that you upload your images the right way round. No excessively digitally altered images will be accepted (no cloning, adding or removing elements). Basic enhancements are allowed, for example brightness, contrast, and sharpening etc.
8. File naming protocol
File names are for your reference purposes only. When you upload your images, you will be asked for caption information. This will not be used for judging purposes.
Please ensure that you keep copies of submitted images. Visit Kilkenny will take all reasonable steps to ensure the safe storage and back-up of entries within the term of the Competition, but cannot be held responsible for the loss of images submitted.
a) All entries will be assessed by a primary selection panel approved by the board of Visit Kilkenny, and a shortlist will be announced following the completion of the primary selection and interim judging processes. All those on the shortlist will be contacted by email.
b) All winners will be notified by email and an exhibition of winning entries will be held following the announcement of results. A list of the winners will be published on the Visit Kilkenny website.
Visit Kilkenny reserves the right to modify, cancel or terminate the Competition given unforeseen circumstances beyond its control.
12. Copyright and permissions
By submitting images to the Competition, each entrant confirms and warrants that:
a) they are the sole author of each entry and that it is their original work;
b) they own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image;
c) they have the prior permission of those pictured in the image (or, where the image shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by Visit Kilkenny and will indemnify Visit Kilkenny against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement;
By entering the Competition, you grant Visit Kilkenny permission to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, any image for any purpose connected with the Competition. With the right to sub-license where necessary, this shall include, but is not limited to:
a) display at any exhibitions;
b) on a secure web browser for judging purposes;
c) on the Competition website and on the websites of sponsors and supporters;
d) for use in press, promotional and marketing materials – both print & digital;
e) on social media sites, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
14. Copyright of each image is retained by its respective photographer.
15. Entrants, whose work is commended or above, agree to take part in post-Competition publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for this purpose without compensation or limitation.
16. For the purposes of this agreement, ‘Visit Kilkenny Photographer of the Year’ shall be seen as interchangeable terms. For clarity, submitted images may be used to promote ‘Visit Kilkenny Photographer of the Year’.
17. Visit Kilkenny will remove any entries from the Competition that it feels may breach or contravene laws of public decency or may bring the photographer, the Competition, Visit Kilkenny or any of its sponsors into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void.
18. The decision of Visit Kilkenny on all matters relating to the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. All images must be uploaded, via the Visit Kilkenny website, following the on-screen instructions. By accepting the Rules and subsequently submitting your images, you have entered into an agreement with Visit Kilkenny. Images cannot be withdrawn or amended after the close of the Competition. Any queries should be directed to email@example.com.
21. The information given in the Rules is correct, but Visit Kilkenny reserves the right to amend the Rules without prior notice. Any such changes will be posted on the Competition website. By entering the Competition, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by the Rules.
22. Competition prizes are for two people and are subject to availability and change. Hotel prizes are available on select dates only.